Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Web Listings Inc.

As I am only moderately knowledgeable about the web and computers in general, I did not know exactly what to make of an invoice my firm received from Web Listings Inc.  However, since I have a legal background, and because the name of the company was not familiar, I was skeptical.

The invoice was for $65.  It purported to be a billing for an "Annual Listing (Apr 15, 2011 to Apr 15, 2012).  The invoice also touted that the "listing" included "domain name submission with up to 8 keywords / phrases to 20 established search engines, initial search engine position and ranking report sent to you via e-mail, and quarterly search engine position and ranking reports sent to you via e-mail."

In a business setting, a once a year bill for $65 seems pretty modest and might get easily approved in the shuffle without significant scrutiny.  But I decided to do a bit of checking.  First, I checked with our website design firm.  I also checked with our local IT company.  Both confirmed Web Listings Inc. was nothing they had listed us with.

I then did a quick "Google" search of the company name.  You know Google.  It is one of those "20 established search engines" touted in the invoice.  Really?  20?  Can anyone name more than 5 or 6?  Anyway, that quick search came up with plenty of information confirming that Web Listings Inc. was just a new example of the "fake invoice" scam.  I have seen it before involving telephone yellow page advertising, but this was my first encounter in the internet setting.  So, be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment